Our big pickleball tournament returns to Montgomery TennisPlex in Boyds May 18-20 with singles, doubles and mixed doubles play for men and women ages 50 and above. With two bubbles and outdoor courts, we’ll be able to host over 500 players again this year.
“We’re happy to work with the TennisPlex again for our tournament, it’s a great location, a great venue, and we were very happy there last year,” said MSO director Stacy Sigler.
- Thursday, May 18—Men’s doubles and women’s singles;
- Friday, May 19—Mixed doubles;
- Saturday, May 20—Women’s doubles and men’s singles.
Scott Keenum returns as tournament director, and we’ll welcome volunteers to assist with the many aspects of such a large event. We’ll have more on those roles shortly.
Registration will open ASAP, and we’ll have more details on fees, rules, and more soon. There will be two divisions of play, and out-of-state residents are welcome to participate. Stay tuned for updates.
- 10K Cycling Time Trials, May 3, Davidsonville Elementary School.
- Pickleball, May 18-20, Montgomery TennisPlex, Boyds.
- Table Tennis, June 3, Potomac Recreation Center, Potomac.
- 5K Cycling Time Trials, June 7, Davidsonville Elementary School.
- Archery, June 24, Parkton.
- Beach (sand) Volleyball, June 24, Stevenson University, Owings Mills.
- Air Gun Target Shooting, July 27, Associated Guns Club of Baltimore, Marriottsville.
- Trap Shooting, July 29, Associated Guns Club of Baltimore, Marriottsville.
- Track and Field, Aug. 5-6, Prince George’s Sports Complex.
- Tennis, August 17-19, Olney Manor Park, Olney.
- Basketball, men’s and women’s, Aug. 26, Meadowbrook Athletic Complex, Ellicott City.
- Volleyball, men’s and women’s, Aug. 27, Meadowbrook Athletic Complex, Ellicott City.
- Bowling, Aug. 28-29, Bowlero Lanes, Ellicott City.
- 5K Run, Sept 2, Kentlands/Lakelands 5K, Gaithersburg.
- Racquetball, Sept. 6-7, Severna Park Racquet and Fitness Center, Millersville.
- Swimming, Sept 9, Germantown Indoor Swim Center, Boyds.
- Badminton, Sept. 9, Bauer Drive Community Recreation Center.
- Softball, Sept. 9, Olney Manor Park, Olney.
- Horseshoes, Sept. 9, Maryvale Park, Frederick.
- Golf, Sept. 11, Laytonsville Golf Course, Gaithersburg.
- Cornhole, Oct. 1, Schweinhaut Senior Center, Silver Spring.
- Bocce, Oct. 5-6, Asbury Methodist Village, Gaithersburg.
- Shuffleboard, Oct. 7, Holiday Park Senior Center, Wheaton.
- 10K Road Race, Oct. 8 – Race for Our Kids at Baltimore Zoo.
- Billiards, Oct. 13, Schweinhaut Senior Center, Silver Spring.
Registration for all MSO events will open later this winter.
Highlights of our season through images at select MSO events and activities. You can also find these albums on our Facebook page and our Flickr photography site.
Athletes are welcomed to download and share these photos, but no commercial or promotional uses without permission from the Maryland Senior Olympics. All rights reserved.
- Archery: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAb7Tk
- Badminton: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA7Ku5
- Basketball Men’s: https://flic.kr/s/
- Basketball Women’s : https://flic.kr/s/
- Billiards: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAbGQi
- Bowling: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA6fZP
- Cornhole: https://flic.kr/s/
- Cycling 10k Time Trial: https://flic.kr/s/
- Golf: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA74D4
- Pickleball: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA3SP2
- Racquetball Medalists: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA92Qz
- Shuffleboard: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAaihE
- Softball: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA8XNa
- Swimming: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA7jHw
- Tennis: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA8xbT
- Track and Field: https://flic.kr/s/
- Volleyball Men’s : https://flic.kr/s/
- Volleyball Women’s : https://flic.kr/s/
Pickleball Registration Opens March 22
All Other MSO Signups Start April 18
Stay tuned for more details.
Registration for our big pickleball tournament, originally due to open Tuesday morning March 14, has been moved to Wednesday, March 22 at 8 a.m.
In addition, full registration for our 2023 Maryland Games opens April 18.
For Maryland Senior Olympics pickleball only, registration will be exclusively through pickleballbrackets.com:
• From March 22-April 4, pickleball registration is open for Maryland residents only;
• Starting April 5, pickleball registration is open for everyone ages 50 and above, starting at 8 a.m.;
• MSO pickleball registration closes April 27 at 8 a.m., or when capacity is reached;
• Anyone not linked to a partner within 20 days of registering will automatically be moved to the waiting list.
Our pickleball tournament is being held May 18-20 at the Montgomery TennisPlex in Boyds with singles, doubles and mixed doubles play for men and women. We’ll keep you updated here when capacities have been reached in events and age groups.
For all other MSO sports, you will register through a link that we’ll provide here. Stay tuned for more details.
In the News
The 2023 Maryland Senior Olympics season brings new officers at the top of our MSO Commission:
Chair—Neal Gillen of Potomac, a member of the Maryland Senior Olympic Commission since 2013, was elected chair, succeeding Carmen Campbell of Columbia, who served and represented us wonderfully over the years. Gillen previously was secretary.
A retired attorney and trade association executive, Neal is an active swimmer and former basketball player who has medaled over 60 times in MSO and National Senior Games competitions. Currently, the 85-year-old Navy veteran ranks first in his age group in Maryland in the freestyle and backstroke events, and he’s in the top four nationally. He’s also the author of 15 books and numerous short stories.
Vice Chair—Myron Segal was elected vice chair. Myron has enjoyed the training and competition of marathons, triathlons and bike racing all his adult life, and in addition to being a participant, he is also our cycling coordinator. Now retired after 35 years in the federal government and 19 years teaching high school math and science, Segal lives in Silver Spring.
Secretary-Treasurer—James Pearce of Columbia is the secretary-treasurer. He has competed in local, regional, and national track and field meets for 40 years and has served as a USATF track official and referee for the Big Ten Track Championships. A retired lawyer, businessman, and teacher, Pearce has been an MSO Commissioner for over 10 years.
At the National Senior Games annual conference, MSO captured the Excellence in Games Promotion Award for our 2022 guide of activities and events. MSO director Stacy Sigler was in Pittsburgh to accept the shiny award from Sue Hlavacek, interim president and CEO of NSGA. Yay for us!
Kentlands/Lakelands 5K Run Presents MSO With $1,000 Contribution
Thanks to our long partnership with the Kentlands/Lakelands 5K run, MSO was again the beneficiary of a generous donation from the Kentlands Community Foundation.
On Nov. 15, Elisabeth Monaco, president of the foundation, and Jaree Donnelly, race coordinator, presented us with a $1,000 contribution, noting that out of the 1,255 runners in the annual race, 270 were seniors.
They also thanked our Stacy Sigler for MSO’s continued support of the race, which serves as the qualifier for the National Senior Games. In addition, we award medals to the top senior 5K finishers in their age groups.
Here, Monaco presents MSO Commission President Carmen Campbell with the $1,000 check at our November Board meeting.